Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Identify with a embided player, Extend story, and Develop play

 I went the concert “the Silk Road ensemble with Yo-Yo Ma” with my player, Super Mario. In Super Mario series, he races and travels through the Mushroom Kingdom in order to rescue Princess Toadstool from the antagonist. The game player controls Mario throughout the Mushroom Kingdom. Mario's abilities can be changed by picking up certain items; for example, Mario is able to shoot fireballs if he picks up a Fire Flower. He always struggle to destroy enemies for saving Princess. So I wanted to give meaningful time Mario to heal his stressful mind from survival and travel new space. It's great time for Mario and me.


During enjoy the concert with Mario, I seemed to “identify” with Mario.
When performers were playing instruments with their fast paced tunes, 
I imagined Mario as if run faster. Simultaneously, I also felt like
running faster and jumping higher. At that moment, I was Mario, Mario was me.

Moreover, it could be possible to “extend story” which is that originally the objective is to race through the Mushroom Kingdom, survive the main antagonist Bowser′s forces and save Princess Toadstool. Not just limited in the Mushroom Kingdom, it could be possible to make Mario travels to the Silk Road, in my mind. Inspired by the cultural traditions of the historical Silk Road, the Silk Road Project is a catalyst promoting innovation and learning through the arts. Their music is to connect the world’s neighborhoods by bringing together artists and audiences around the globe. Culturally different music and rich performances made possibility to extend Mario story. For example, Mario had travel routes across Afro-Eurasian, out of the Mushroom Kingdom.

Finally, hangout with my player made me fully engaged in this play. After came back to home, I made a drum and a piper for Mario to make energy to survive in the Mushroom Kingdom. It can be true that playing with an embodied player would encourage the players “develop” their play.



1 comment:

  1. I love this, and I'm sad that I forgot that Yo-Yo Ma was in town! Darn! But, you've done a wonderful job combining music with play. We often talk about art and the more visual arts in class and how that may connect with play, but too often, we leave out music. The presentation we had before break and your blog have me thinking more and more about how music inspires different moods within us, which in turn can inspire ideas related to our playful natures.

    ReplyDelete